Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Crunchy Squid Rings

Here is a simple appetizer or snack recipe. I altered it quite a bit so I could say it is my recipe. Hehe. The cornstarch will make it crunchy though there might be a tendency that the rings will lose their crunchiness they have been left uncovered or exposed. A quick re-heat or "re-fry" will do the fix.

This recipe reminds me of Conk Fritters. I would love to try one of those. One time I ran out of squid and I was really craving for seafood, I settled on having oysters instead. I have them shelled already. They were kept refiregerated ready to eat with just vinegar, garlic, onions and chili peppers. But no one ever touched them even my Dad. So, what I did that snack time is used the Crunchy Squid Rings recipe and used oysters in replace of the squid. I washed and drained them well because I don't want the slimy substance on the oysters. I deep fried them to achieve my prefered result. They were a big hit together with the Pepper-Garlic Mayo.

Crunchy Squid Rings

Ingredients:
¼ kg Squid, sliced into thin rings
2 pcs Egg yolks
1 C Cornstarch, sifted
2 t freshly ground Black Pepper
1 ½ t Fine salt
Cooking oil


Procedures:
In a bowl or any shallow dish, combine the cornstarch, salt and pepper together. Mix well. Dip each squid rings in the beaten egg yolk then dredge with the seasoned cornstarch. Coat well. Shake off the excess cornstarch and set aside. Heat cooking oil in a fryer or cooking pan. Drop the squid rings in the boiling oil. Squid, when cooked could have a tendency to be tough. So, choose squid that are not too big or too small. And do not over cook them to retain their juiciness. A few seconds will do. When the rings turn to light gold or when they are afloat, that means they’re good to drain. Drain the rings on paper towels. Serve with Garlic-Pepper Mayo Dip.


Garlic-Pepper Mayo Dip

Ingredients:
½ C Plain mayonnaise
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
¼ t freshly ground black or white pepper
¼ t Fine salt
½ T Chopped parsley or onion greens


Combine altogether. Mix well. Chill if desired. Serve with any finger food.

Tip: You could also try to dredge the rings on a plate. To have well-coated squid rings, you could try to put a few tablespoons of the seasoned cornstarch in a plastic bag or container. Shake the container until the rings are well-coated with the mixture. For storage, you could refrigerate or freeze the rings prior to frying. Alternative coating is crushed crackers or Japanese bread crumbs.

No comments:

Google